The ballots are in, the votes have been counted, and the 2013 Harlandale ISD Hall of Fame inductees have been selected. The winners are:
• Jodie Michelle Castro-Saenz, a McCollum High School graduate from the class of 1997. Jodie attended Our Lady of the Lake University where she earned a Bachelors and Masters of Arts and then began her teaching career at Carroll Bell Elementary. She was a beloved teacher who always strived to help her students succeed. Jodie passed away from brain cancer in 2009.
• Margaret Vera graduated from Harlandale High School in 1981. She attended St. Mary’s University, earning her Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in three years and obtained her Doctorate at South Texas College of Law in Houston in 1987. Margaret now has her own private practice and has a passion for civic service.
• Jesse Ayala is a 1978 graduate of McCollum High School. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1983 and Air War College in 1994. He went on to have a career at Kelly Air Force Base before establishing his own business.
• Donna Royal Tobias was a 1955 graduate of Harlandale High School. She then went on to graduate from Southwest Texas State Teachers College with a Bachelor’s of Science, earned two Master’s Degrees, one from Texas A&I and the other from the University of Houston, and her Ph.D. from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. She was a cherished professor at Texas A&M University - Kingsville but passed away in 2002.
• Becky Gonzalez is the Community Service inductee. As a Social Worker for Harlandale ISD, she has worked tirelessly to improve the welfare of children across the district; however, it is her work in the community that truly makes her stand out. Becky plays a key role in the Harlandale Tribesman All-Sport Athletics Boosters, PTA, SUAVE, Relay for Life and the School Health Advisory Council.
All inductees will be honored with a banquet on November 6. Appetizers will be served at 5:30 p.m. in the Frank Tejeda Academy courtyard and dinner will be served at 6:00 p.m. in the Boggess Center. The banquet is open to the public but tickets must be purchased in the Business Office at 102 Genevieve. Tickets can also be reserved by phone by calling the Communications Office at (210) 989-4348.
The Hall of Fame inductees will also be recognized prior to the Frontier Bowl on November 8 at the Harlandale Memorial Stadium at 6:15 p.m. Tickets to the Frontier Bowl go on sale November 4 at 8:00 a.m. in the Athletics Office, 1201 96th Street.