Morrill Elementary will provide the educational foundation to empower our students to be successful lifelong learners, develop into productive citizens, grow into guardians of their future and become architects of their dreams.
Morrill Elementary is inspiring our students to be the change.
Morrill HistoryIn 1894, Morrill Chapel School was built on the corner of what is now Greenwood and East Sayers. The school was named after Captain David Morrill Poor, who donated the land for the building. He and his wife built the first school in the Harlandale district. The building served as a school and chapel for Sunday services. Miss Annie Work was the first teacher, and she earned $25 a month. She had 11 students enrolled in her class. Because Morrill was the first school built in Harlandale, Morrill is considered "the Cradle of Harlandale."
The school was moved across the street to its present location on the corner of Sayers and Flores in 1829. This building was used through the spring of 2001. The school was housed in a temporary location until the opening of the new school in the fall of 2003.
Morrill earned the title of Recognized from the state 4 years starting in 1997. Following this, the school achieved the Exemplary level the following 2 years, and holds this distinction now. In the fall of 2003, Morrill received the honor of being named a National Blue Ribbon School, which is awarded to only the top one percent of schools in the nation.